Monday, September 29, 2008

My Long Overdue Family Reunion

After not seeing my brother, Rick, for over 2 years, and my brother, Bob, for over 20 years, I decided since we now live closer that it was time to take a trip to California to visit. On the way we stopped at Yosemite National Park. I can't believe I never went there as a child when we lived in California!

While hiking, we came upon this doe and 2 fawns. They didn't seem too concerned that I was snapping pictures.
Yosemite is a beautiful park. Here is a picture of Half Dome taken as the sun was starting to go down.



After arriving in San Francisco in the evening, checking into a hotel and meeting my brother Rick to plot our sightseeing, we began reminiscing our childhood. The next day we went to scope some old and new sites of Fisherman's Wharf. We walked along the Embarcadero, had sushi inside the Ferry Building, ate some sourdough bread at the Boudin Bakery, and sampled a hot fudge sundae at Ghiradelli square. That's what I call "souvenir" eating. By dinner time, we were so full, but forced down a wonderful seafood dinner at Scomas. Below is a picture of the Bay Bridge at night and some of the resident sea lions that live at Pier 39.



The next day my brothers, Dave and I met at Bob's in Santa Cruz and then drove out to Monterey to see that area. We really enjoyed walking along the beach front and watching the harbor seals basking in the sun, along with pelicans and otters.




Here I am with my brothers Rick (middle) and Bob at the wharf in Monterey, California






Here are just a few of the harbor seals balancing on rocks on the beach front along the wharf in Monterey.




A few days later, Rick and I decided to really venture back to our childhood and took a trip back to Guerneville and Johnson's Beach along the Russian River. We rented canoes and went up river for several hours. Things hadn't changed much in 40 years. We were even able to find what was left of the old cabin we stayed at each summer. It had fallen down and some of the cabin was missing, but we both recognized the place when we saw it. After that, we drove to the coast at Goat Rock state park and then went into Occidental and ate at the Union House, which is where we always ate when we would visit. It was the same also, right down to the red and white table cloths, candle holders made out of wine bottles (of which we would always get in trouble when we played with them) and the banana fritters for dessert. What a trip back in time that was!



Here are Rick and I on the Russian River.



Rick, me, and Dave beachside at Goat Rock State Beach.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! I never realized how much you and Rick look alike!! Can't really tell about your other brother since he has on a hat.

Sounds like a fun trip!

Paula

Lambert the Sheepish Lions said...

Wow...what a trip down memory lane! Must have been so great to spend quality time with your brothers. Glad to see you got to do some fun things with Rick. Sad sometimes how cabins and such can fall apart over time when they were once so fine. Love the pic with the three of you!